Calibration Forums

Calibration Forums (http://www.ControlCAL.com/forum/index.php)
-   Software (http://www.ControlCAL.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Question CalMAN Questions - PC Monitor Calibration, LCD and Plasma? (http://www.ControlCAL.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129)

badbob 10-21-2008 04:58 PM

CalMAN Questions - PC Monitor Calibration, LCD and Plasma?

Just downloaded trail calman and avast thrown a wobbly

Win32:Zlob-CPC [Trj]

Turbe 10-21-2008 05:17 PM

Do you mean that your Virus software detected a Trojan with the CalMAN Demo? If so, I think your virus software is detecting that in error.

badbob 10-22-2008 04:49 AM

avast antivirus database is updated, doesn't report the file.
As for calibration, I have several TV's, PC monitors. Can I use the software to calibrate each?

Panasonic 28" CRT, I can get into service menu and it does have a few r/g/b settings
Pioneer plasma LX-5090
Samsung 32" LCD, user level is basic but perhaps service menu has more
24" Samsung TN panel PC monitor LCD
20" Philips LCD

Turbe 10-22-2008 11:47 AM

Not until Display Profiles are created for Panasonic, Samsung and Philips.

All Pioneer 8G and 9G Models are supported now and if you want to access and calibrate your Pioneer's ISFccc Interface, ControlCAL is The Solution (and only one) and is available to both Professionals and individual owners. :thumbsup::clap:

badbob 10-22-2008 03:23 PM

So I'll have no problems calibrating CRT TV's, LCD TV's, PC CRT monitors, and PC LCD monitors with calman?

Turbe 10-22-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badbob (Post 2135)
So I'll have no problems calibrating CRT TV's, LCD TV's, PC CRT monitors, and PC LCD monitors with calman?

Those video Display types (CRT/LCD/Plasma TV's) are no problem for CalMAN (the meter is important). What meter are you considering?

I have not even considered using CalMAN for PC Displays (data use), x-rite's software might be better suited for PC Monitors.

badbob 10-23-2008 10:15 AM

Probably the $500 bundle. If I spend that sort of money I'd want to calibrate PC monitors also, and not going to spend even more money on another software application.

Turbe 10-23-2008 01:21 PM

That bundle is a excellent choice for video Displays including Plasmas. However, it's not a good choice for PC Monitor calibration. You should consider the I1Pro Bundle (see below for Monitor Calibration Option) or the Gamma 5 Bundle (though the Gamma 5 is not recommended for Plasmas). Correction: See the next Post.

You could purchase the Chroma 5 Bundle and purchase a separate meter/software solution for PC Monitor Calibration.

The I1Pro is best option available <$1000 to calibrate both video displays and PC Monitors. Of course this comes at a higher cost and the need to purchase the Upgrade below:

EyeOne Monitor Module Upgrade - i1Pro only: Computer monitor profiling and calibration upgrade module from x-rite. This module license is not included with the i1Pro that ships from CalMAN. EyeOne Monitor Module Upgrade for $99 from x-rite's website. When adding this module to your i1 Pro it will then be able to run the EyeOne Match software on any system.

Turbe 10-23-2008 04:59 PM

Correction: The Gamma5/Display2 Bundle includes the monitor calibration software, the i1Pro is an add-on for $99 from x-rite. The Chroma5 does not have support for this since it’s only an OEM device.

I suppose you could purchase a Chroma 5 bundle and get a Display 2 (with x-rite software).

badbob 10-24-2008 02:56 PM

Getting too expensive :-( $500 is already a lot of money, I'd want to take advantage and calibrate everything, another $100 on top for PC plugin is starting to get too much. I don't want to spend clost to $1K and be disappointed that calibration makes it "slightly better"

Turbe 10-24-2008 03:49 PM

It sounds like PC Monitor calibration is very important to you.. we really focus on Video Display calibration here.

You could consider the Gamma 5 (OEM Display LT/2).. but many do not recommend that meter on Plasmas. Here is a Thread that discusses this.

I still use a old Pantone/ColorVision Spyder and OptiCal to calibrate my Monitors and my Epson 1280.. you can find those bundles around used (cheap) and buy a Chroma5 Bundle for your LCD's and Plasmas.... :D

badbob 10-24-2008 04:08 PM

What about a Chroma 5 + Gamma 5 bundle, with one copy of the software and then choose which meter to use. Gamma 5 for PC LCD/CRT monitors, and Chroma 5 for plasmas, LCD TV's and CRT TV's?

My PC monitor is 24 " Samsung TN panel, which seems quite a bit off. I assume for PC monitor calibration, the cal software will write a profile - ICM/ICC? The monitor (and another monitor) have R/G/B sliders- like the Pioneer plasmas when input is changed to PC, is that enough for calibration?

Surely when using a PC as a source on Pioneer plasma, it should be more accurate in PC mode? But with it on, it looks way out. On video it looks more natural. Also black level is worse in PC mode.

Turbe 10-24-2008 04:48 PM

I just checked, we can add a Gamma 5 (comes with X-Rite's software for monitor calibration) to the CalMAN Standard/Chroma 5/ControlCAL Bundle ($499) for $199 (this price is only available as an add-on to the Chroma 5 Bundle). CalMAN will only be licensed to use the Chroma 5 (which is the one you want to use on your Plasma and LCD TV's). The Gamma 5 meter is an OEM version of the Eye-One Display 2.

I have not even connected my HTPC or laptop yet to my PRO-141FD, so I can't comment on calibrating using a PC Input.

CalibrationForums.com / ControlCAL.com is an authorized reseller for SpectraCal.
SpectraCal is an authorized X-rite OEM reseller. Why does that matter?
When you buy an X-rite meter from SpectraCal, you know:
  • The meter you receive from SpectraCal is a brand-new meter.
  • The meter you receive from SpectraCal is the current revision of the meter.
  • The meter you receive from SpectraCal is never B-stock, refurbished material, or gray market cut-outs.
  • The meter you receive from SpectraCal has been calibrated at the factory.
  • The meter you receive from SpectraCal has a recent calibration date. The calibration of the meter is certified for one year. When you buy from SpectraCal, you know that you get a full twelve months’ use of the meter before it may need recalibration.
  • The meter you receive from SpectraCal carries an original X-rite factory warranty.

badbob 10-26-2008 01:33 PM

I forgo to say the Pioneer is connected to the HTPC, which basically is acting like a monitor, so calibration with ICM/ICC profile will come in handy. As would seperate primary and secondary calibrated monitor (Pioneer as secondary, 20" LCD as primary) support. So the R/G/B slider calibration in PC mode will be calibrated too, as is the Video mode, and then decide which is best. PC mode should be as Pioneer should be bypassing all processing, but actually need to determine that, post calibration.