Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > Display Forums > Plasma Flat Panel Displays (PDP)

Notices
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #321
Magnus_CA
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
Magnus, when you originally activated isf Night, did you make adjustments or just use the default Control values?

Can you run ControlCAL (with the ISFccc Profile), select that Input and isf Night, then Press REFRESH? Do you see your adjusted values (if you did adjust originally)?

There are things set for an ISFccc Memory, though the memory will show in the AV Selection even if all 3 are not set.. I'm thinking a step/procedure was missed for isf Night on that Input.
I did make adjustments to the default control values for all supported ISFccc memories for all inputs (if I remember correctly ISF Auto is N/A on a couple inputs). I made sure at the very least to set Color Temp to Manual along with a few other tweaks.

I'll try refreshing ISF night in control cal tonight to see if they were reset or if it was just a matter of the AV selection disappearing from the menu.
Magnus_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #322
Magnus_CA
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
Magnus, when you originally activated isf Night, did you make adjustments or just use the default Control values?

Can you run ControlCAL (with the ISFccc Profile), select that Input and isf Night, then Press REFRESH? Do you see your adjusted values (if you did adjust originally)?

There are things set for an ISFccc Memory, though the memory will show in the AV Selection even if all 3 are not set.. I'm thinking a step/procedure was missed for isf Night on that Input.
It's confirmed, not only is ISF Night missing from my AV Selection list (for input 5) but the values I entered (Color Space 2, Pure Cinema 2, and Color Temp 6) were not maintained. Input 6 is fine...all 3 ISF memories are there for that input. I have yet to check the other inputs.

Edit - I made some changes to the ISF Night memory for Input 5 and it's still not showing up in the AV Selection list. I'm slowly backing away from the big expensive TV and turning it off for the night. If anyone has a suggestion of how to get ISF night to show up again I'm all ears.

Last edited by Magnus_CA; 08-05-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #323
jdbimmer
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
Probably more concerning is my AV Selection guide for input 6 is limited to Standard and User only. I'm sure I can get the ISF memories back on there but I'm not sure how to get the default memories back. Needless to say I'm a bit worried how this is going to turn out.
Check your Input setup. You probably have the HDMI-6 Signal Type set to PC which limits you to Standard and User AV modes.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #324
Magnus_CA
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post
Check your Input setup. You probably have the HDMI-6 Signal Type set to PC which limits you to Standard and User AV modes.
Yep...I just figured that out so I edited my post.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #325
bodosom
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
I have yet to check the other inputs.
The web page might be useful here. It does have a nice summary of enabled inputs.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #326
Magnus_CA
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
The web page might be useful here. It does have a nice summary of enabled inputs.
This is the table from the Pioneer ISF page as of tonight-

Whether the ISF Night memory for input 5 was lost as a result of my calibration procedure or not I'd love to know how to get it back.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #327
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Try this..

START CALIBRATION
INPUT 5, SET
ISF NIGHT <---- Verify onscreen that Input 5 and ISF Night are selected in the ISFccc Interface
RESET CURRENT (Select Yes when prompted).
END CALIBRATION

What is Input 5 Configured as in the Input Setup?

I would Power cycle using the Main Switch on the back (wait a 1 minute or so to flip the switch back on).

After you Reset, start over using the Step by Step for Input 5, ISF NIGHT (don't forgot to press SAVE on both P2 and P1 )...

Last edited by Turbe; 08-05-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #328
Magnus_CA
Registered Supporter

That took care of it Turbe. Thanks. You were correct, I missed activating (probably forgot to hit 'save settings') some memories on a few of the inputs.

Call it my own knuckleheadedness but I didn't get what Activating an ISFccc memory meant the first time around. I thought the patch Activated the memories in the AV selection list. Now it's clear to me you have to go through the procedure workflow for each Input / ISFccc memory / Signal Type combination (26 total?) to get them to show up.

One thing you may want to consider adding to your activation instructions is that you have to switch the signal type for inputs 4-6 to PC to activate ISF Day and Night for that input/signal type combination. I haven't tried it yet but I assume you need a live connection to the D-Sub15 input to engage PC mode and ultimately activate ISF Day and Night there. You may also want to note that ISF Auto is N/A when signal type is set to PC for inputs 3-6.

As bodosom pointed out, the Pioneer ISF web interface is perfect for verifying that you've activated all the ISFccc memories for all input/signal type combinations.

Thanks to everyone that helped me along the way.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #329
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Yes, you need to use the ISFccc Profile Set to actually Activate (and adjust) each ISFccc Memory on each Input you want (you may want only isf Night one Input and isf Night, isf Day and isf Auto on another - whatever you want)...

I only activate the ISFccc memories I am actually using - I know some want all 3 memories to show up for every/most Inputs but I think that's just clutter (IMO)..

Of course, if you were getting a Pro Calibration, it does make sense to activate memories for additional Inputs for future use (though they probably could use some adjusting for new sources)...
Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #330
andy o

Hi guys, I have a 500M, and I've read that ISF will yield more brightness than Pure? How does this work, the screen will simply be able to get brighter? I'm wondering cause I'm having to use energy save mode 2 in order to get rid of the buzz, but it limits brightness when there's too much brightness on screen. I wonder if I can up the brightness limit of energy save 2 even if just a bit. I have no problem having to use as low as contrast=20 or so.

thanks.
andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #331
cyberfish1
Registered Supporter

Another successful KRP-500m patched here! The patcher program was quite simple and straightforward to use and patched my KRP very easily. I would like to point out, to those that had the same impression as I, that running the patcher program does not go ahead and add ISFday/night/auto to your list of possible picture modes. In order to make them available, you have to go through the step-by-step procedure in ControlCal (which is found in one of the links in this thread). ControlCal was pretty easy to use once I got used to the procedure flow, and I had no problems getting my settings just the way I wanted them.

Do yourself a favor and patch your KRP! You know you want to!
cyberfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #332
bodosom
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy o View Post
Hi guys, I have a 500M, and I've read that ISF will yield more brightness than Pure? How does this work, the screen will simply be able to get brighter?
Yes and the buzz will get louder.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #333
andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Yes and the buzz will get louder.
Somehow brightness buzz doesn't increase with brightness itself. PS mode 2 doesn't buzz, but PS 1 does at the same output level, and Standard buzzes even at Contrast 0. There's something else at work here. I don't want a brighter picture per se, I am OK at Contrast 20 for totally dark movie watching, but I just don't want the limiter to kick in so early if total brightness is not very high.

At the AVS thread you said it changes the output limiter. Does that mean that power save mode 2 has also more range, or is it only for standard?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #334
bodosom
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy o View Post
At the AVS thread you said it changes the output limiter. Does that mean that power save mode 2 has also more range, or is it only for standard?
I'm not sure what you're hearing but:
Kuro monitors have a power limiter which can be set from 20-100% of maximum brightness (the default is 100%). You can imagine that in ISFccc mode it ranges up to 150% of the non-ISFccc scale.

The Power Save modes behave the same in ISF or non-ISF and Esave2 is similar to limiting the output to about 80%. At least those are my observations with a 500M.

The AVSHD field patterns (5 or 10%) will make this clear.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #335
andy o

OK, just wanted to know if the patch would have an effect on energy save 2. thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #336
podol

I haven't read all posts in this thread.
So... if my questions were already answered elsewhere, link me to there, please.
The question is...
I own a KRP-M North American Model, but I'm not in the USA. Actually in South Korea.
What kind of procedures do I have to take to get the firmware patch?
I mean.. if I have Pay Pal accounts, you don't care foreign address. Am I right?
podol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #337
wjlud12
Registered Supporter

I have the KRP-600M. The patch was successful, however, the ControlCal app just doesn't work for me. I keep getting red error messages and there is no Profile Extras window for the Auto, Day and Night modes. Any thoughts?

Last edited by wjlud12; 08-22-2009 at 06:28 PM.
wjlud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #338
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Alt Tab in Windows and/or move the main ControlCAL Window around (and other Windows), the Profile Extras Window is probably hidden/behind other Windows.

After you press the START CALIBRATION Button, what exact message do you get in the Dialog (please be specific)? If you successfully enter the ISFccc Interface, you will see your display change onscreen (and ISF displayed).

Are all the Control Label Names turning Red or just the Highs and Lows? If just RGB Highs and Lows, make sure Color Temp on set to 6 (for Manual).

Last edited by Turbe; 08-23-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #339
wjlud12
Registered Supporter

Yes, thank you Turbe. That was it. The Profile Extras Window was hidden beneath the Taskbar. All is green now.
wjlud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #340
Sammie2980
Professional Supporter

Thanks Turbe, the patch is great and just what I expected, hell even my wife said it looks brighter and more crisp she usually doesn't see that stuff...(though she did see the difference between the 500M and the panny 50 800U )

Well the patch was easy to install, the only issue I had was the activation wouldn't work on my laptop, probably due to a configuration I had set, so I loaded it up on my desktop and all went smooth from there. The instructions on how to activate a memory are so straight forward and simple. I'll admit I was somewhat intimidated when I got the 3 emails from Turbe as they had so much info, all at once. Once I gathered myself and read it, it was 1, 2, 3, done.

I do have a few quick questions though...I assume I already know the answer for a few of them but just curious since you guys have spent more time with it.

First is there no way to edit the settings from the remote? I assume not and honestly since I can just do it from controlcal having all my settings right there where I can plug in a number real quick is great but just for on the fly changes in pro adjust to film mode, enhancer, etc, etc without having to hook everything up would be great. I can kind of see why you wouldn't need to because once you get it dialed in where you want it chances of changing it are slim to none.

Next I noticed that when you select day, night, auto etc, everything is grayed out, etc The only thing that is strange is that gamma is set to 3, but I never adjusted it, since I used the 9 gamma points. Is that normal?

For some reason I tried to do ISFccc input 5 for the PC and it didn't stick, has anyone else experienced this?

Last question is ISFccc Auto. I assume you have to have the room light sensor on? If it's turned on will it only effect Auto and Optimum?

That's really the only questions I had, other then that everything else was a breeze, and when I did have a few questions about the activation Turbe got back asap.

This patch is well worth the price, and really your almost doing yourself a disservice if you don't patch it.

Last edited by Sammie2980; 08-23-2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: found answer to one of my questions
Sammie2980 is offline   Reply With Quote