Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > DIY Calibration > Software

Notices
Unread 05-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #41
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
UMR, that we all know seems to be a very picky person, is praiseing the i1pro with all kind of devices, and never read a complain about it.

Moreover in some of his posts he seems arguing that he feels more comfortable with the i1pro than his PR-670!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
Thanks blutarsky, never read those Posts..

Interesting, I wonder if UMR is actually using the I1 Pro even today for his work...?
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #42
derekjsmith
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
I didn't know this, in fact, I've never read this though I have not even close to reading all the Posts available concerning ColorHCFR (or CalMAN). This is a requirement for me (FP support).

...and Greetings Derek, welcome to the Site. Thank You for accepting my invitation!

Is there anything you can add concerning CalMAN's special handling of the Display 2/LT? I know there are some on the fence to purchase or upgrade to the I1 Pro.
Yes I will post more detail info on our handling of the Display2 later today. Just a quick note that x-rite has two different programs for developers, partners and OEM’s. We are an OEM so we have access to the hardware at a much lower level than just a partner does like ColorHCFR. As an OEM we can talk directly with the meter itself, its processor and eeprom. As a partner you only get access to a very basic interface and can only select three modes CRT, LCD and Ambient, since PDP is neither CRT or LCD this level of support does not work very well. In fact I find it very deceiving of ColorHCFR to add a Plasma option to the support list of modes when in reality they are only selecting CRT mode behind the scenes. More on all of this later.
derekjsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #43
derekjsmith
Professional Member

Quote:
Thanks blutarsky, never read those Posts..

Interesting, I wonder if UMR is actually using the I1 Pro even today for his work...?
UMR or Jeff used to be the only OEM of the i1Pro for years and had software written in excel to support it. At the time he used to rag on Cliff at Progressive Labs about his support for the TriStim from GMB and SIP. They had some horrible debates on which was better since neither at the time supported both types. Forward to 2008 and you will find that Jeff now puts down the i1Pro because in his opinion to calibrate you need a PR670.

As for SpectraCal and CalMAN it's all about choice. You can start out with a DisplayLT, advance to a i1Pro and in the end turn Pro and get a PR670 or a CS2000 while all at the same time using the same software.

Last edited by derekjsmith; 05-16-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #44
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post
UMR or Jeff used to be the only OEM of the i1Pro for years and had software written in excel to support it. At the time he used to rag on Cliff at Progressive Labs about his support for the TriStim from GMB and SIP. They had some horrible debates on which was better since neither at the time supported both types. Forward to 2008 and you will find that Jeff now puts down the i1Pro because in his opinion to calibrate you need a PR670. I will give you one guess on how he was able to afford a $30k meter, from the sales of the i1Pro he now puts down.
I know about his software, didn't know he had OEMed the meter and was a reseller.

Quote:
They had some horrible debates
I need to find some past posts...
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #45
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
With CalMAN we take 10 to 20 readings depending on the light level and run them through statistical analyses to find the clusters, deviations and outliers from the clusters.
So, you are doing additional processing in addition to just increasing the number of samples (at low light levels)....!?!?

Last edited by Turbe; 05-15-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Unread 05-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #46
derekjsmith
Professional Member

Quote:
So, you are doing additional processing in addition to just increasing the number of samples (at low light levels)....!?!?
Yes it's all about the quality of data not the quantity. But you also need a large set of samples for statistical processing to work. In some cases nearly half of the samples will get discarded for one reason or another. This is one of the many reasons CalMAN is not free nor will be. Anyone can write a VB app to take raw XYZ data from a meter and put it in to charts, the basic formulas are not that hard either. Where I spend most of our time is in making sure we get the most out of the hardware we support, it takes an enormous amount of time, you also need access to more than one of each meter, access to most of the common display types and a knowledge of laboratory testing procedures and methods with practical experience. In one of my previous life’s I worked for a MIL spec test lab writing test procedures and programs both on the engineering and QA sides for testing digital and analog systems, talk about standards peoples lives depended on it.

Last edited by derekjsmith; 05-16-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Unread 05-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #47
derekjsmith
Professional Member

Quote:
Yes I will post more detail info on our handling of the Display2 later today. Just a quick note that x-rite has two different programs for developers, partners and OEM’s. We are an OEM so we have access to the hardware at a much lower level than just a partner does like ColorHCFR. As an OEM we can talk directly with the meter itself, its processor and eeprom. As a partner you only get access to a very basic interface and can only select three modes CRT, LCD and Ambient, since PDP is neither CRT or LCD this level of support does not work very well. In fact I find it very deceiving of ColorHCFR to add a Plasma option to the support list of modes when in reality they are only selecting CRT mode behind the scenes.
With the basic support that ColorHCFR has for the Display2 by only being able to select the display type CRT, LCD or Ambient and for PDP you want the CRT calibration table since PDP is phosphor based. The problem with this approach is in CRT mode it also wants to sync with the CRT scan rate which a PDP does not have at least not in the same way a CRT does. So what happens at some point is the meter will switch from CRT mode to LCD mode when the luminance is high enough and it has figured out it's not a CRT. The problem with the switch to LCD mode is you also get the LCD calibration table which now does not match up and you will get inconsistencies.

Our support for the Display2 is enhanced by our ability to control the meter at the direct hardware level something ColorHCFR can’t offer. This includes its internal calibration tables, integration timings, edge triggers and advanced error handling.

Since this thread was more about PDP and the Display2 I can say in my testing day to day on my Panasonic 9UK I get consistent results but my test methods are very detailed to get those results. Is the Display2 the end all for calibrating no it’s just the first rung in the ladder for meters. For those that want that last few percent of accuracy you need to look at an i1Pro using our advanced low light handling. And for those that want that last half a percent you need to look at a high end Spectro with the understanding they are very slow up to 2 minutes for a reading and have a ton of options and features to get it setup right.
The Following User Says Thank You to derekjsmith For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #48
GorGorBey

Quote:
With our new i1Pro pricing the meter itself is now only $599 and with CalMAN Spectro software is $699. So what do you get for that $100 more.
Oups...I bought one EOM Eye One Pro at spectracal 3 weeks ago and the price was $700 for the sensor alone....

It's not fair

If I know that I would have wait 3 weeks more to obtain the software for the same price...
Projecteur: Mitsubishi HC3000 Lecteur DVD: Denon 1920 Enceintes: BW Nautilus: HTM1,805 Signature,SCM1 Caisson: Revel B5A Egaliseur: Velodyne SMS Plasma: Pioneer LX508D Projecteur son YSP: Yamaha YSP4000

Last edited by GorGorBey; 05-16-2008 at 04:54 AM.
GorGorBey is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #49
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorGorBey View Post
3 weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorGorBey View Post
It's not fair
Perhaps SpectraCal has a Policy in place to handle this. (?) I am sure they are eager to get ColorHCFR Users to upgrade to their Solution..
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #50
derekjsmith
Professional Member

Quote:
Perhaps SpectraCal has a Policy in place to handle this. (?) I am sure they are eager to get ColorHCFR Users to upgrade to their Solution..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Policy
We don’t make very much money on those meters. I will tell you that our margins are very low on those meters.

Recently we negotiated a better price from x-rite. When we received a better price from them, we passed the savings on to our customers.

So what about everyone who has bought from us in the past? When x-rite sends us new meters at a lower price, we can’t go back to everyone who has ever bought a meter from us in the past, and do something for them.
So in the world of electronics pricing is always subject to change usually down. If we did credit or adjust our prices after the fact in some cases we would loose money. We are not some large box store with huge margins that can offer post sales price protection we just don't have the margins. What we can guaranty is that when you buy from us you are getting the best price we have received from x-rite at that time. From our point of view the heavily discounted i1PhotoLT from BH with US rebate at $529 is losing money not just a thin margin but a negative one. Lastly this was not a planned price reduction it is only something we found out yesterday, so waiting any amount of time did not matter.

Last edited by derekjsmith; 05-16-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #51
madkaw
Professional Supporter

Finish calibration last night. Here are some settings if anyone wants to try them. 1ipro and Color HFCR.
Pioneer 150FD

Mode: Pure
Contrast: 34
Brightness: +2
Color; actual color is +8, I like to bump it to +11 for a little more saturation.
Tint: G2
Sharpness: -15 to -7 depending on content and preference

PC: Advanced, only if 24f, if not set it to Standard.
Text: Off
Intelligence: Off

Detail:
DRE: Off
BL: Off
ACl: Off
Enhancer: 2
Gamma: 2

Color:
RH: -1
GH: 0
BH: +3
RL: -1
GL: 0
BL: -2

CM:

R: -1
Y: +1
G: -2
C: -2
B: -1
M: -1

Color Space: 2

All noise: Off
madkaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #52
Turbe
Professional Supporter

madkaw, why didn't you use the ISF Memories and Controls?

How about posting your HCFR files?
Unread 05-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #53
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalidvd
Hi all,
I've started the onerous process of trying to calibrate my recently acquired Pro110FD. Similar to what others have experienced, I have found the nasty interaction between Pioneer's CMS and gray scale calibration.
This reminds me of the famous "Heisenberg uncertainty principle" in physics: you can measure the position of an electron precisely, but you can't be sure how fast it is going (and vice versa).
It seems with the 8G Kuros, you can calibrate the grayscale precisely if you leave the CMS untouched. This is what I first did. And then, I looked at the CIE chart, and noticed that blue was significantly oversaturated, and green was a bit understaturated, and red was a bit oversaturated (in Color Space 2). So, I decided to "tweak" the CMS. I had to move the Blue value quite a bit (+15) towards Magenta, to fix the Blue primary location. The others needed smaller changes.
But, now my gray scale was all a mess, so I tried to fix that, and of course, the primaries started to move again. Finally, the gamma curve looks totally strange -- an S shape, rising steeply > 3 in the low-end, and falling sharply in the higher end towards 1.
I'm calibrating with HCFR and EyeOne Display 2. Any pointers would be most appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr
The real color errors on these displays that can be corrected with the CMS are generally small. What you are likely seeing with RGBMCY are errors in your tools. Using low quality tools to adjust the CMS is more likely to make the colors worse than better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalidvd
What puzzles me about the Pro110FD is why the gamma curve is so badly off. The gray scale and the color primaries are really accurate, even without much tampering. But, the gamma curve is simply bizarre -- > 3 at low IREs and ~1 at high IREs, instead of staying flat.
Any suggestions for fixing the gamma? I have the gamma set at 2 in the default menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
You are the third person to note a S-shaped gamma when calibrating with the Display2 probe. I've seen no reports of S-shaped gamma curves with other probes. It is my conclusion that one should not use a Display2 probe to calibrate a Kuro.
Quoted from HERE.
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #54
Blutarsky

1st Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
You are the third person to note a S-shaped gamma when calibrating with the Display2 probe. I've seen no reports of S-shaped gamma curves with other probes. It is my conclusion that one should not use a Display2 probe to calibrate a Kuro.
Wow! That should go in the temp drifts thread....
Unread 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #55
madkaw
Professional Supporter

Quote:
madkaw, why didn't you use the ISF Memories and Controls?

How about posting your HCFR files?
I will be out of town till the end of the week. I will post all files this weekend.
madkaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #56
Wolfy

Charter Supporter

Here are the more comprehensive results. I still haven't had time to analyze it all so I may add comments later.

I have been trying to assess how my Display LT is handling the job of taking measurements from a plasma TV. The whole reason behind it is that I and others have found that we can have a very good grayscale tracking after finishing our calibration session only to have it change enough just the next day to warrant different settings in the TV's calibration controls.

Background: It actually began with me trying to find the inherent primary colors for my display because I found that using the Color Management controls of the TV made the grayscale unbalanced and so far almost impossible to bring back to balance. To this end I used CalMAN v.3 to take a few measurements of the primary colors without using the Color Management controls of the TV and was going to use the results for a custom white point with CalMAN. Since there was an interest in the difference between CalMAN and the freeware ColorHCFR, particularly in how the software handles Display 2/LT taking measurements from a plasma TV I decided to take a few more measurements to see what it would show.

Note that I am not publishing this as a scientific work as I did not sit down and make a plan over what to test and how to go about testing it nor did I take enough measurements for the results to be considered a strong basis for making conclusions. Further more this is measurements on a single plasma TV, using a single Display LT colorimeter and without access to a reference sensor for comparison. This is an ad hoc assessment and the results are presented as is, I just want to make that clear.

Test components:
  • Display: Pioneer PDP-428XD, 42" first generation Kuro Elite plasma TV, using HDMI input 4, A/V Modes: User and ISF Day (indicated as User and ISF in the text below) which has slightly different luminance outputs using the same Contrast setting. I used the two A/V Modes in their default settings with all of the image enhancers, e.g. Dynamic Range, Black Level enhancement, etc, in the Off setting. Contrast was set at 35 (default 40, maximum 60) yielding approximately 150+ cd/m^2 for User and 170+ cd/m^2 for ISF and Brightness at +1 (default 0, maximum +30). Before calibrating the grayscale I did not use Pioneer's Color Management controls because I find that they give unpredictable results.
    Calibrated Settings:
    • User:
      • Contrast: 35
        Brightness: +1
        R Contrast: +4
        G Contrast: 0
        B Contrast: -11
        R Brightness: 0
        G Brightness: 0
        B Brightness: 0
      ISF:
      • Contrast: 35
        Brightness: 0
        R Contrast: -2
        G Contrast: 1
        B Contrast: +4
        R Brightness: +1
        G Brightness: 0
        B Brightness: 0
        9-Point Gamma Controls:
        • [1]
          • R: 1
            G: 1
            B: 1
          [9]:
          • R: -1
            G: 0
            B: -1
          [All others] 0 0 0
    Source: Oppo DV-983H, HDMI, YCbCr 4:4:4, 720p@50Hz.
    Source Material: GetGray 1.1 PAL DVD.
    Hardware: x-rite Display LT (EyeOne.dll 3.4.0.131), indicated as D2lt below.
    Software: CalMAN v3.0.1.112, ColorHCFR 2.0.1, ControlCAL beta 2, build 14.

Test procedure:

Timeline:

1. Measurement 1 through 10 and 11 through 20 was made with 30 minutes interval between a set of measurements, i.e. #1: ISF, Primary Colors - #2: User, Primary Colors - (30 min) - #3: ISF, Primary Colors - #4: User, Primary Colors, etc... Before #11 through 20 was begun the TV was left off for a few hours to return to room temperature.
  2. I got different results calibrating the ISF A/V Mode with CalMAN as opposed to ColorHCFR. I opted to use the CalMAN results which is why #21 is struck from the list. Unfortunately I got a bit sidetracked and forgot to save separate files for the color measurements that followed (they were entered into excel though) which is why #22 and #27 are for both grayscale and color in the list.
  3. 10 minutes interval between a set of measurements, similar to (1) above.
  4. A set of measurements were taken for a cold D2lt.
  5. Another set of measurements for when the D2lt had been left to acclimatize to the display for 30 minutes.

Files:

Excel file with all of the measurement data:
The file contains the following tabs:
  • CalMAN RGB: Tables with all of the measurement data from measurements on primary colors both from 75% and 100% stimulus patterns, with an assigned # that corresponds to the tab name (CalMAN) or file name (ColorHCFR) with the original data. A link to CalMAN and ColorHCFR files can be found below.
  • CalMAN RGB maxD: Tables of the results from the reference measurement (#1 for ISF and #2 for User) and the maximum deviation from that reference measurement.
  • CalMAN RGB stats: Manipulated (in the sense that it has been moved about to better lends itself to be used with excel to make graphs) data from the tables above so that it can be presented as graphs. The graphs are showing the difference between x, y values and those differences are in the order of 0.00x at the most, so all results have been multiplied with 1000 to be easier to present in a graph.
  • CalMAN Grayscale: Tables with all of the measurement data from measurements on a grayscale pattern 0% - 100% white, with an assigned # that corresponds to the tab name (CalMAN) or file name (ColorHCFR) with the original data. Use the timeline above for reference.
  • CalMAN Grayscale maxD: Same as for the primary colors above, but for the grayscale results.
  • CalMAN Grayscale stats User & CalMAN Grayscale stats ISF: Same as for the primary colors above, but for the grayscale results.
  • After that follows the same tabs, but for ColorHCFR results.
  • i1Pro Grayscale stats: Difference in x, y values multiplied with 1000 from grayscale measurements on a Pioneer PDP-LX508D and a follow up measurement two days later, using a i1 Pro. This is just for comparison purposes since they are from another time and location and by another person than me.
  • Luminance stats: Similar to the "stats" tabs above, but for reported luminance from the grayscale measurements. No multiplication has been done to the data.

CalMAN files: 3 .cdf files with data from each day. Tab names corresponds to the #'s in the timeline above.

ColorHCFR files: 53 (Note! 53 files, extract the files to a new folder so as not to flood a folder you are using with these files) .chc files with file names corresponding to the #'s in the timeline above.

Day 1:

I left the D2lt to acclimatize to the display while the display was showing a DTV signal for 30 minutes. Measurement #1 @ 30min was used as reference for primary colors for ISF and #2 @ 30min for User. A new set of measurements were taken every 30 minutes for a couple of hours, i.e. #3, #4 @ 60min; #5, #6 @ 90min, #7, #8 @ 120min and finally #9, #10 @ 150min. The TV was then left off for a few hours to return to room temperature and the the same procedure (with a 30 minutes acclimatization) was repeated with ColorHCFR. Here are the results from comparing to the reference measurement:

(click for the full size image)

These are only the maximum differences, look in the excel file to see the change from one measurement to the next.

After this I calibrated the grayscale for User and ISF and took some measurements for reference, both primary colors and grayscale, for the following days.

Day 2:

Like the day before I left the D2lt attached to the TV showing a DTV signal for 30 minutes and then took a series of grayscale measurements with 10 minutes in between the sets of measurements (ran out of time). Measurement #23 from Day 1 was reference for grayscale for User and #25 for ISF. Here are the results from comparing to the reference measurement:

Again one has to look in the excel file to see the change from one measurement to the next.

This post will be continued below.
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #57
Wolfy

Charter Supporter

...continued:

If one multiplies the difference in reported x, y values with a 1000 it looks like this:

A/V Mode: ISF Day

CalMAN @ 30min

HCFR @ 30min

CalMAN @ 60min

HCFR @ 60min

CalMAN @ 90min

HCFR @ 90min

Unread 05-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #58
Wolfy

Charter Supporter

...continued:

And if you look at the same when using the first measurement from Day 2 as reference instead of reference from Day 1, it looks like this:

CalMAN @ 40min

HCFR @ 40min

CalMAN @ 60min

HCFR @ 60min

CalMAN @ 80min

HCFR @ 80min

For a full set of graphs (well, almost), download them from the link below.

The graphs for the difference in reported luminance (no multiplication of the results here) follows:

CalMAN Day 2 vs Day 1 cal.

(click for a larger image)

The numbers on the right side are the point in time during Day 2 when the measurement was made, so 30 is ISF Day 2 @ 30min, i.e. measurement #45, 40 is #47 and so on.

HCFR Day 2 vs Day 1 cal.

CalMAN Day 2 vs Day 2 @ 30 min

HCFR Day 2 vs Day 2 @ 30 min

Unread 05-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #59
Wolfy

Charter Supporter

...continued:

Day 3:

This time I took a set of measurements with a cold D2lt and finished with another set after the D2lt had acclimatized for 30 minutes like earlier.

CalMAN Day 3 cold vs Day 1 cal.

HCFR Day 3 cold vs Day 1 cal.

CalMAN Day 3 cold vs Day 2 @ 30min

HCFR Day 3 cold vs Day 2 @ 30min

CalMAN Day 3 @ 30min vs Day 1 cal.

HCFR Day 3 @ 30min vs Day 1 cal.

CalMAN Day 3 @ 30min vs Day 2 @ 30min

HCFR Day 3 @ 30min vs Day 2 @ 30min

Unread 05-20-2008, 03:14 AM   #60
Wolfy

Charter Supporter

...continued:

Here is the grayscale tracking shown in graphs using ColorHCFR and imported results from CalMAN:

CalMAN ISF Day

(click for a full sized image)

HCFR ISF Day

CalMAN User

HCFR User

Finally, some of the graphs for the primary colors:

CalMAN Red Primary Day 1 vs Day 1 @ 30min

HCFR Red Primary Day 1 vs Day 1 @ 30min

CalMAN Green Primary Day 1 vs Day 1 @ 30min